31 May 2010

A summer of non-academic pursuits: "Feed the bitch...feed her or she'll die!"

...as immortalized in Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, I have decided to undertake the overzealous task of creating a mother starter for later attempts at making pain au levain, Poilâne-style miche and proper-San Francisco sourdough - of course it should be more properly called Novelty sourdough, as the levels of Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis (I do not kid, the bacteria is named after the City by the Bay) the will be lower than if I made this in SF. 


But I digress. The basic idea behind a mother starter is that you capture wild yeast and bacteria, naturally occurring in the air, and begin to create a starter bit of dough that will be used to impart a complex, sour flavor (through the creation of alchohol, CO2 and acids) and provide the leavening. After its creation, the mother starter can be kept alive, indefinitely, in the refrigerator through regular additions of flour and water - thus Andy's middle-of-the-night call for Tony to "feed the bitch." The romantic notions of creating a mother starter from the air of home, that can be brought with me in my wanders, is quite comforting. (Let's just hope I don't accidentally kill it!) 


Guiding me in this experiment is Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day. He devotes an entire chapter to "Sourdough and Wild Yeast Fundamentals" - which cuts right to the heart of this overly-intellectual food geek. 


So we begin:

Day 1: 
Preparing the seed culture: bread flour and pineapple juice (to prevent the growth of the nasty bacteria leuconostoc)

Day 3: 
Seed Culture, Phase 2: Adding more bread flour and pineapple juice (and crossing my fingers that fermentation will begin soon)















 ...to be continued.

3 comments:

  1. Love the post! I'm in the 'kindergarten-phase' of bread making and have not progressed beyond "Artisan Breads in 5 Minutes a Day" by Francois and Hertzberg. Concept seems similar (start a dough and let it ferment in your fridge), but this seems much more intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you share your bread with us 13 Thingers? Or maybe your starter?

    I'm a "no-knead bread" maker myself http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jane: I also am a fan of the no-knead bread, and I blame it for my current fascination with all things flour/water/yeast related.

    If this experiment is successful, and it makes the trip out to Iowa in the fall, I will be happy to share a loaf (or two) and some starter with my fellow 13-thingers!

    ReplyDelete